You may not think a sprinkler system is a year-round concern. And, while the best irrigation systems do most of the work themselves, some regular maintenance can increase the life and performance of your system for years to come.
Sprinkler system repair can always be done by a professional company like Affordable Irrigation in Tulsa. However, most regular maintenance actions, you can actually take care of yourself. Tip for Sprinkler System Maintenance Most of these maintenance tips can be performed in the Spring, or Fall - different seasons require different things.
Let’s take a closer look at a few of these useful tips you can use, to ensure your system stays in pristine condition all year long.
Sprinkler Maintenance Tips for the Fall
It’s important to never let your system just ‘shut down’ during the fall. A little preparation for the winter can save you from big headaches when warmer weather rolls around again. Consider the following tips before you stop using your sprinkler for the winter.
● Make sure your entire system is functioning properly, and that nothing is obstructing the sprinkler heads.
● Get your backflow checked. This is hugely important for automatic sprinkler systems, and it must be checked every year. Contacting your local water specialist can get the job done.
● Look for any leaks.
● Insulate any outdoor faucets and pipes for the winter, so they don’t freeze and run the risk of bursting.
Sprinkler Maintenance Tips for the Spring
When warmer weather finally rolls back around, you’ll probably be eager to get the sprinkler system up and running again. But, it’s not as simple as just ‘turning it on.’ Take a little extra time to make sure your system is ready to go for the entire season. First, start out by making sure the ground is ready! If the soil is still solid as a rock, but the weather has started to warm up, you may want to wait another week or so before starting up your system. The frozen ground won’t adequately soak up water the way it needs to, and you could be left with flooding. Some other useful maintenance tips include:
● Get back into the swing of things by taking full control of the system. Check the timers and know your irrigation schedule. Look around for leaks, and dust away any debris from the heads or timers. You can feel good about starting your system out on the right foot, by taking control of it from the start of the season.
● Make sure nothing needs to be replaced. Sprinkler heads, valves, and pipes can get worn out or even broken over time. You don’t want to risk a leak (or worse) by starting up your system without checking to make sure everything is working properly. By replacing any worn out parts before you start up your sprinkler for the season, you’ll ensure that it works the way you need it to, every single time.
● The first time you turn on your system for the year, do a pressure check. Too much pressure all at once can do a lot of damage, and even burst your pipes. Open the main water valve carefully and slowly. To be safe, it’s always a good idea to invest in a water pressure gauge. Again, it’s all about being in control - the more you know about what’s going on with your system, the more confident you can feel.
Additional Year-Round Tips
With regular maintenance, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of your irrigation system for years. The best part? Keeping your system maintained and in top shape isn’t as much work as you may think. Tip for Sprinkler System Maintenance The three biggest tips you should take away when it comes to regular maintenance are:
● Keep everything clean/cleared of debris - This includes checking valves, sprinkler heads, etc. Nothing should ever be obstructed, no matter what time of year it is. This can cause leaks, or it can cause the water to end up somewhere you don’t want it to go, affecting your lawn in a negative way.
● Make sure everything is in working condition/replace damaged items - Items wear out over time. Just as you might replace other things you use regularly, don’t think your sprinkler system is invincible. If a part has a problem, replace it as soon as possible.
● Adjust the settings as necessary - Your lawn is under your control, and so is the irrigation, once you master the perfect settings. Everyone’s ideal settings are different, so don’t be afraid to adjust as necessary until you find what works best for your lawn.
These tips can not only increase the life of your sprinkler system, but can leave you with a beautiful lawn all year. Take control of your yard maintenance by starting with your sprinkler. A firm grasp on regular sprinkler upkeep can make all the difference.
For more information on new sprinkler system, maintenance or repairs around Tulsa, Oklahoma call the experts at Affordable Irrigation Tulsa at (918) 720-3257